Folklore and Placenames
Stories and Memories from the past
Individual contributions acknowledged separately
‘Bloody Hill’ – this hill is in a field in Coolfin and it was always known as the ‘Bloody Hill’ because Patrick Sarsfield is supposed to have fought a battle there on his way from Aughrim to Limerick in 1691. An adjoining field was always known as the ‘Gallows’ but the reason for this is unclear.
‘Canada Road’ – the road leading from the Coolfin road at Patrick McDonagh’s house to the Abbey-Portumna road on the Portumna side of Kylemore village is to this day known as ‘Canada Road’ because at the time of the Ballygowan evictions families who were evicted travelled this road when they left the area on their way to Canada.
‘Friar’s Bridge’ – located on Canada road known to this day as ‘Friar’s Bridge’ because a friar from the monastery in Abbey was thrown from his horse at that bridge and was killed there.
(Thanks to Tommie Goonan for the above)
Add a comment about this page