Information taken from a variety of official documents
Research: Eileen Keane, Abbey Heritage
Brackery North, Breacaire Thuaigh
Brackery North is situated in the civil parish of Tynagh, in the barony of Leitrim and in the County of Galway. It is located near the centre of the parish of Teena (Tynagh), 5 miles north east of Woodford.
O’Donovan’s field name books (1838) states that the standard name for the townland is Brackery North and its Irish form is Breacaire Thuaidh. There is no translation for the name of this townland. O’Donovan’s field name books states that there is a reference to Brackery North in the following documents:
Inq Temp Jac I, Edward Kelly, Esq, Larkin’s County Map, Lord Riverstown, B S Sketch.
The Down Survey Map of Ireland 1641 (pre Cromwell) states that the owners of the townland of Brackery North in 1640 were Mr Conly and Rose Geoghegan. The Down Survey of Ireland states that they were both Catholics. According to the Down Survey of Ireland, the names assigned to the townland was bog.
Old Age Pension Census 1851
There were no records of Old Age Pension for this townland.
Tithe Applotment Books 1823-37
There were no records of Tithe Applotment Books for this townland.
Griffiths Valuation 1855
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, the townland of Brackery North contained 124 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land therefore, it stated that Anthony F Nugent (in fee) leased 124 acres 2 roods and 30 perches, to the following tennant: Catherine Nugent. The overall rent paid was £51-15-0.
Anthony F Nugent (in fee) paid a total annual valuation rate of £50-0-0 for land. Catherine Nugent paid a total annual valuation of £6-5-0 for land. Peter Larkin paid a total annual valuation rate of £37-15-0 for house and land. Patrick Moran paid a total annual valuation rate of £10-10-0 for house, offices and land.
There were no records of Census 1901 for this townland.
There were no records of Census 1911 for this townland.
Add a comment about this page