Mountainpark

Information taken from a variety of official documents

Research: Eileen Keane, Abbey Heritage

Mountainpark Townland

Mountainpark, Páirc an tSléibhe, Field, Mountain, Moor

Mountainpark is situated in the civil parish of Ballynakill, in the barony of Leitrim and in the County of Galway. It is located near the centre of the parish of Ballynakill about 1½ miles north of Woodford.

O’Donovan’s field name books (1838) states that the standard name for the townland is Mountainpark and its Irish form is Páirc an tSléibhe. The translation for this townland is given as field, mountain and moor. O’Donovan’s field name books states that there is a reference to Mountainpark in the following documents:
Hyath Clarke, Esq., B.S. Sketch.

The Down Survey Map of Ireland 1641 (pre Cromwell) states that the owner of the townland of Mountainpark in 1641 was Clan McShaene. It also states that in 1670 Richard Martin was the owner of the land. The Down Survey of Ireland states that both landowners were Catholic. According to the Down Survey of Ireland, the names assigned to the townland was mountain.

1851 Old Age Pension Census

John Burke Application Number: C/20 10085
The applicant John Burke with an address Ballyhogan, Kilrickle, Loughrea, Co. Galway applied for the Old Age Pension on 10th November 1920. According to John, his parents were James and Bridget Burke (Harty). He further stated that his address in 1851 was Mountainpark. The application form showed that his application fee of 2/- was not paid thus indicating that he was not successful in obtaining the Old Age Pension at this time.

Tithe Applotment Books 1823-37

The Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland. The land was measured in Irish acres or plantation acres at the time and this equated to 1.6198 English acres.

The Tithe Applotment for the townland of Mountainpark was undertaken in 1834. It states that the townland of Mountainpark was in the parish of Ballinakill and in the Diocese of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh.

There was 1 proprietor in the townland at this time, namely: J. McAylward Esq.

According to the Tithe Applotment Books, J. McAylward Esq held 106 acres of land which was occupied by himself. The following is an account of the tenants’ landholdings, the value of his acres, the amount of composition of the tithe and how this was dispersed among the church hierarchy:

J. McAylward 106 acres of land that was valued at 3s 6d per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £18 11s. He paid 11s 2d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 1s 4½d and the Vicar got 7s which was a total of 8s 4½d.

Griffiths Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, the townland of Mountainpark contained 171 acres, 1 rood and 7 perches of land therefore, it stated that Jn. Aylward (in chancery) leased 171 acres and 2 roods and 39 perches to the following tennants. James Burke, James O’Brien, Michael Gleeson, Patrick Kelly, Michael Kelly, Michael Murray and Micheal Mulkerrin. The overall rent paid was £15-10-0

James Burke paid £2-10-0 for house, office and land. James O’Brien paid £7-0-0 for house, offices and land. Michael Gleeson paid £2-0-0 for herd’s house, office and land. Patrick Kelly paid £1-0-0 for land. Micheal Kelly paid £1-0-0 for land. Michael Murray paid £1-0-0 for land. Michael Mulkerrin paid £1-0-0 for land.

Census 1901

There are no census records for this townland.

Census 1911

There are no census records for this townland.

 

This page was added on 04/01/2017.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *