Coarseparks

Information taken from a variety of official documents

Research: Eileen Keane, Abbey Heritage

Coarse Parks Townland

Coarseparks, An Gort Garbh, field, rough, rough one

Coarseparks is situated in the civil parish of Ballynakill, in the barony of Leitrim and in the County of Galway. It is located in the the north of the centre of the parish of Ballynakill about 2 miles north of Woodford.

O’Donovan’s field name books (1838) states that the standard name for the townland is Coarseparks and its Irish form is An Gort Garbh. The translation of the name is given as field, rough and rough one. O’Donovan’s field name books states that there is a reference to Coarseparks in the following documents:
Hyath. Clarke, Esq., Grand Jury Presentments and B.S. Sketch.

The Down Survey Map of Ireland 1641 (pre Cromwell) states that the owner of the townland of Coarseparks in 1641 was the Earl of Clanrickard. The Down Survey of Ireland states that the Earl of Clanrickard was a Protestant and that he continued to own the land in 1670. According to the Down Survey of Ireland, the names assigned to the townland was Linn alias Connereogh.

1851 Old Age Pension Census

There were no records for this townland.

Tithe Applotment Books 1823-37

The Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland. The land was measured in Irish acres or plantation acres at the time and this equated to 1.6198 English acres.

The Tithe Applotment for the townland of Coarseparks was undertaken in 1834. It states that the townland of Coarseparks was in the parish of Ballinakill and in the Diocese of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh.

There was 1 proprietor in the townland at this time, namely: J M Aylward Esq.

According to the Tithe Applotment Books, J M Aylward Esq held 94 acres and 1 rood of land which was occupied by himself. The following is an account of J M Aylward’s landholdings, the value of the acres, the amount of composition of the tithe and how this was dispersed among the church hierarchy:

J M Aylward held 94 acres and 1 rood of land that was valued at 12s 6d per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £58 15s 2d. He paid £1 15s of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 4s 6d and the Vicar got £1 1s 9d which was a total of £1 6s 3d.

Griffiths Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, the townland of Coarseparks contained 152 acres and 12 perches of land therefore, it stated that John Aylward (in chancery) leased 152 acres and 12 perches, to the following tennant: Francis Conroy. The overall rent paid was £63-0-0.

Francis Conroy paid a total annual valuation rate of £63-0-0 for office and land.

Census 1901

There were no records for this townland.

Census 1911

There were no records for this townland.

This page was added on 13/03/2017.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *