Lisdurra

Information taken from a variety of official documents

Research: Noreen Shiel, Abbey Heritage

Lisdurra Townland

Lisdurra, Lios Dora, ring-fort, enclosure

Lisdurra is a small townland in the civil parish of Ballinakill, in the electoral district of Drumkeary, the barony of Leitrim and the county of Galway. It is situated in the north east end of the parish of Ballynakill about 4 ½ miles north northeast of Woodford. It is a small townland greatly composed of underwood, rocks and bog, a few houses in the south and one known by Castle Pinch.

According to O’Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838) the standard name of the townland is Lisdurra and the translation is oak fort.  O’Donovan also states that there is a reference to Lisdurra as Lios Dara, Lissdurra, Lissdorra and as Lissdurra in B. S. Sketch and as Lissdurra in Hyath. Clarke, Esq. The translation according to P W Joyce Place Names is Lios-doire, fort of the oak-grove.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) states that the owner of Lisdurra was Earl Clanrickard (Protestant). The Down Survey Map 1670 (post Cromwell) shows that the owner remained the same.

1851 Old Age Pension Census Search forms

There was no old age pension census search form listed for Lisdurra.

Tithe Applotment 1834

 The Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland. The land was measured in Irish acres or plantation acres at the time and this equated to 1.6198 English acres. The tithe applotment for the townland of Lisdurra was undertaken in 1834. It states that the townland of Lisdurra was in the parish of Ballinakill and in the Diocese of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh.

There was one proprietor in the townland at this time, namely W Pigott, Esq. According to the Tithe Applotment Books he held 54 acres 3 roods and 38 perches of land which was occupied by 4 named tenants. The following is an account of the tenants’ landholdings, the value of their acres, the amount of composition of the tithe and how this was dispersed among the church hierarchy:

Pat Martin held 18 acres 1 rood and 13 perches of land that was valued at 10 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £9 3s 4d. He paid 5s 5¼d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 8½d and the Vicar received 3s 4½d which was a total of 4s 1d.

Lacky Noonan held 9 acres 0 roods and 26 perches of land that was valued at 10 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £4 11s 8d. He paid 2s 9½d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 4d and the Vicar received 1s 9d which was a total of 2s 1d.

Pat Larkin held 9 acres 0 roods and 26 perches of land that was valued at 10 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £4 11s 8d. He paid 2s 9½d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 4d and the Vicar received 1s 9d which was a total of 2s 1d.

Willm [William] Martin held 18 acres 1 rood and 13 perches of land that was valued at 10 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £9 3s 4d. He paid 5s 5¼d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 8½d and the Vicar received 3s 4½d which was a total of 4s 1d.

Griffith’s Valuation

According to Griffith’s Valuation (1855) the area of the townland of Lisdurra is 90 acres, 0 roods and 18 perches. The valuation of the land was £38 0s 0d and the valuation of the buildings was £0 10s 0d giving a total valuation of £38 10s 0d. Henry Pigott was the owner of all the property and was in fee for a herd’s house, offices and land.

Census 1901

There was one inhabited house in Lisdurra at the time of the 1901 census with 3 inhabitants. There were 2 males and 1 female and all were Roman Catholics. All the residents were born in Co Galway. Patrick Madden was the head of the household. According to the B1 Form the house was built as a private dwelling and had walls made from permanent materials and the roof was constructed from perishable materials. The B2 Form reveals that there were 2 outhouses.

Patrick Madden was a 70 year old farm servant. He was married to Mary who was 62 years of age and they had 1 son listed on the census form, namely Patrick who was 20 years old. Patrick the son was a farm servant. Patrick and his wife spoke both Irish and English. All the family could read and write. Patrick’s son was not married at the time of the census. The house had 2 front windows and it was listed as a third class house with 2 rooms. Mrs Lewis owned the land on which the house was built and there were 2 outhouses, a piggery and a shed.

Census 1911

There was one inhabited house in Lisdurra at the time of the 1911 census with 2 inhabitants. There was one male and one female and both were Roman Catholics. They were both born in Co Galway. Mary Madden was the head of the household. According to the B1 Form the house was built as a private dwelling and had walls made from permanent materials and the roof was constructed from perishable materials. The B2 Form reveals that there were 5 outhouses.

Mary Madden was a 74 year old widow. She had 10 children, 6 of whom were living at the time of the census. She lived with her son Patrick who was 28 years old. Patrick was listed as a shepherd and he was single. Mary spoke both Irish and English and they both could read and write. Mary’s house had 2 front windows and it was listed as a third class house with 2 rooms. H A Lewis owned the land on which the house was built and there were 5 outhouses, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house and a shed.

 

This page was added on 09/02/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *