Cartron North

Information taken from a variety of official documents

Research: Noreen Shiel, Abbey Heritage

Townland of Cartron North

Cartron North, An Cartrún Thuaidh

Cartron North is a townland in the civil parish of Ballynakill [Ballinakill], in the barony of Leitrim and the county of Galway. It is situated in the north east end of the parish of Ballynakill about 3½ miles northeast of Woodford. According to O’Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838) the standard spelling for the townland name is Cartron North and the meaning is a quarter of land. It is referred to as Cartron in  B. S. Sketch, Larkin’s County Map and Hyath, Clarke, Esq.

O Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838) further states that Cartron North is a small townland bounded on the north east by a river which separates it from the parish of Teena [Tynagh]. The townland is all under cultivation, contains some good farm houses in the southeast end. It does not consist of any matter worthy of remark.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) doesn’t list who the owner was and neither does the Down Survey Map 1670 (post Cromwell).

Tithe Applotment 1834

The Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland. The land was measured in Irish acres or plantation acres at the time and this equated to 1.6198 English acres.

The tithe applotment for the townland of Cartron North was undertaken in 1834. It states that the townland of Cartron North was in the parish of Ballinakill and in the Diocese of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh.

There was one proprietor in the townland at this time, namely Jas [James] O’Hara, Esq. According to the Tithe Applotment Books he held 46 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land which was occupied by 6 named tenants. The following is an account of the tenants’ landholdings, the value of their acres, the amount of composition of the tithe and how this was dispersed among the church hierarchy:

Pat Costelloe held 11 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land that was valued at 18 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £10 2s 6d. He paid 6s 0d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 9d and the Vicar received 3s 9d which was a total of 4s 6d.

Pat Kelly held 11 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land that was valued at 18 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £10 2s 6d. He paid 6s 0d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 9d and the Vicar received 3s 9d which was a total of 4s 6d.

Thos [Thomas] Gorman held 5 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land that was valued at 18 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £4 14s 6d. He paid 2s 10d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 4½d and the Vicar received 1s 9d which was a total of 2s 1½d.

Jas [James] Gorman held 5 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land that was valued at 18 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £4 14s 6d. He paid 2s 10d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 4½d and the Vicar received 1s 9d which was a total of 2s 1½d.

Michl [Michael] Costelloe held 8 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land that was valued at 18 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £7 8s 6d. He paid 4s 5d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 7d and the Vicar received 2s 9d which was a total of 3s 4d.

Timy [Timmy] Madden held 5 acres 0 rood and 0 perches of land that was valued at 18 shillings per Irish acre and had a total valuation of £4 10s 0d. He paid 2s 8½d of a tithe tax. The Bishop got 4d and the Vicar received 1s 8¼d which was a total of 2s ¼d.

Griffith’s Valuation

According to Griffith’s Valuation the area of the townland Carton North is 74 acres, 3 roods and 39 perches. The valuation of the land was £41 5s 0d and the valuation of the buildings was £0 15s 0d giving a total valuation of £42 0s 0d.

James Hubbock was in fee for a herd’s house and land and also a cottier’s house paid a total of £42 0s 0d.

There are no 1901 or 1911 Census Returns for Cartron North.

The National Monument Service of the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht records one archaeological monument in the townland of Cartron North on their website.  They are unable to supply descriptive details for this but give the following record details:

GA117-019—-

Class: Quarry

Townland: CARTRON NORTH

Scheduled for inclusion in the next revision of the RMP: No

Description: This is a disused sand and gravel

This page was added on 21/07/2017.

Comments about this page

  • Hi Can anyone tell me what the town name means?
    Thanks
    Dee Ann

    By Dee Hampton (02/11/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *